PBE Games on DriveThruRPG

Monday, November 30, 2009

Desert Island Games

Over at Ratty Ramblings they've proposed an interesting thought exercise. Choose the eight games from your current collection you'd want if you were stranded on a desert island. You get to bring along all the material you own for each game chosen. Here's my list:
  1. AD&D - Pretty much a no-brainer for me since I have multiple campaign worlds for this rule set. If forced to chose a version I'd pick 2nd, since I can hack out the parts I don't want.
  2. Traveller - For a Science Fiction fix, this is an easy choice.
  3. AFMBE - If you're stuck on an island the only thing missing is zombies.
  4. Call of Cthulhu - Hmmm two horror picks. Might not be prudent, but it's my list.
  5. Amber - A diceless change of pace from the other games on my list.
  6. Playing Cards - Because they're simply too flexible not to bring.
  7. Cosmic Encounter - An awesome game to scratch the non-RPG itch.
  8. Chess - Sometimes you can't get a group together, even on a desert island.
As for which is most important to bring, I'd say AD&D, simply because it's the system I keep going back to, and I have so much material for it. For a non-gaming luxury, I think I'd have to choose my music collection and some means of playing it.

2 comments:

Norman J. Harman Jr. said...

> You get to bring along all the material you own for each game chosen.

I'm gonna rules lawyer that into getting a computer and Internet connection for Eve Online (it's a game) which has a fully functional in game webbrowser, cause really life with out the Internet is pretty much unthinkable at this point in my life.

2. GURPS just cause it has so many freakin source books I'd need for the other games I'm listing.

3. Rolemaster for the MERP and it's really my favorite system.

4. BECMI for the Gazetters and cause it's generally complete but opposite of Rolemaster.

5. Hockey. Desert island sounds hot. Having ice rink sounds pretty darn awesome. And yes, if you want in to my wonderfully frigid ice rink you have to play in my Rolemaster campaign.

6. CNA cause being stuck on Island for rest of life is probably only way to ever get that monster played.

7. Settlers of Catan

8. Mutants & Masterminds

Mark Thomas said...

Settlers almost made the list, but Cosmic Encounter edged it out. Looks like I'd be happy to visit your island. :)