This long, two-handed flail is a hideous weapon by most standards. The heavy haft is shaped from a demon's thigh-bone, its origins proclaimed by its blood red tint and the many natural spines protruding from either end. The grips of the terrible weapon are decorated with what can only be human skin, the grisly covering held in place with black nails cut from demonic horns. Three chains of blood-stained, rusted iron interspersed with heavy, spiked vertebrae of demon bone hang from the business end of the haft. Each chain ends in a preserved demonic hand, claws curled to strike. On the whole the weapon is both large and heavy, requiring Great strength and at least human stature to wield effectively. Those that dare touch the hideous thing will note both a faintly greasy feel and a burning smell when the weapon is held (though neither effect appears to affect the weapon's performance).
Attempts to identify the magical properties of the item will reveal:
- Legendary accuracy and damage enhancement.
- Epic evocation and alteration magic.
- Epic protection magic.
- Epic necromantic magic.
- The Demon Bone Flail radiates evil.
- Epic damage and accuracy bonus.
- Legendary damage and accuracy bonus versus mundane humanoids of any kind.
- The wielder gains Epic protection from elemental damage. Mundane elemental damage does no harm, and magical sources inflict one-quarter or no damage (Superb resistance bonus).
- Crippling Strike - When invoked the next six blows struck by the Flail cripple the target (Great test of resistance to avoid effects). The wounds cause searing pain, inflicting a Great penalty to the recipient's next six actions. The wielder can invoke this power thrice per day.
- Lifetaker - Twice per day the bearer can command the Flail's chains to multiply and shoot forth to cover a 30 foot diameter circle of razor-spined chain and bone. Any creature within this area suffers a Good attack, with all damage inflicted healing the Flail's bearer a like amount. This action takes two rounds to complete (damage is inflicted in the first round, healed in the second as the chains retract).
- Demon's Torment - When this power is invoked the next successful attack causes the weapon's spines and claws to dig in and wrap around the target in an agonizing net. The target automatically suffers full damage each round and suffers an Epic penalty to all actions. Breaking the weapon's grip is an Epic test of strength. This power can be invoked once per day and lasts up to ten rounds.