PBE Games on DriveThruRPG

Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Favorite Things (you know, games)

Zachary on RPG Blog II is tallying up a top 25 games of all time. He's asking for fellow bloggers, readers and anyone else to contribute, so I'll throw in my $.02, though I don't think I can honestly come up with 25 favorite games...
  1. White Box D&D - This is where I started, and it has colored my gaming ever since. Our initial play would be considered simple (more like crude and primitive) these days, but the vast joy derived from those three little books is timeless.
  2. Classic Traveller - CT was my first exposure to a non-fantasy. I found it in the first real game store I ever visited, as a freshman in college. Previous gaming purchases via lowly KB Toys. Kids these days don't know how lucky they are with their internet tubes and such... It's an RPG. In space. And you can die during character creation! I was sold.
  3. AD&D 1st edition - Long long hours of gaming. First home-brew campaign world. All-night college games. Epic combats (including a couple small wars).
  4. FUDGE - This system and the loosely structured play style it supports did a lot to change my fundamental perception of RPGs.
  5. AD&D 2nd edition - Too many game hours to count. Still the staple system with my long term gaming group.
  6. Fate RPG - Aspects. That is all.
  7. Call of Cthulhu - I've been a fan of Lovecraft since I was a young teen. Seeing my CoC books these days makes me sad, because I haven't played in a long time.
  8. Amber - Diceless mechanics and some truly epic play-by-mail games.
  9. Vampire the Masquerade - This is the game that taught me that I don't enjoy all RPGs. It's not a favorite, but I give it a place on this list as a token of respect for the lesson learned.
  10. D&D 3rd edition - For proving that all good things come to an end.
So there you have it, my top ten picks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me some significant searching through both my collection and memories to put together my top 25 list for Zach. What I think is interesting is our divergences between editions (White Box vs Moldvay, Classic Traveller vs MegaTraveller)

Mark Thomas said...

I'd chalk those up to (probably) age. I'm 48, and when I started gaming, white box was about all there was. The idea of a game store hadn't reached rural Maryland where I grew up. :)

I never used the Moldvay, going straight from white box to 1st edition. I played a fair bit of MegaTraveller, even considered throwing it on the list, but couldn't come up with something witty to say about it.

Anonymous said...

Good point regarding age. You have 10 years on me, which certainly changes the gaming scenery.