PBE Games on DriveThruRPG

Thursday, April 16, 2009

One Page Dungeon Contest

What do Chatty DM, Chgowiz, Sham, and Amityville Mike have in common? They're sponsoring a One Page Dungeon design contest.

What do Lizardmen, ghouls, venomous water spiders and carnivorous water lilies have in common? They're all featured in my entry, the Lost Tombs of the Serpent Temple.

A human temple, long fallen and forgotten, once stood guard over burial vaults atop this cliff. The Lizardmen, led by a powerful shaman, now use the site for their sacrifices and rituals. They have taken up residence in the accessible caves below the cliff, while more dangerous foes lurk in the depths.

For my entry I get to pull out one of my favorite monsters, the Lizardman. Nothing makes me happier than a tribe of scaly primitives threatening the party's safety. Because the format is very constrained there won't be a lot of detail in the dungeon key itself. I'm planning on detailing the creatures from my entry right here, but for now you'll have to be content with a preview of the map.

And yes, this is kind of a cheesy cop-out post. I got sucked into this map big time!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely a nice map, especially for this sort of thing.

Nope said...

Very cool, very intuitively done. I can definitely picture this from just the map alone.

Mark Thomas said...

Thanks both of you! I was pleased with how it worked out. I'm still pretty lame with Gimp and Inkscape (the tools I used for this map), but I accomplished pretty much everything I wanted here.

Anonymous said...

Excellent map - great use of the 3rd dimension (height), which most mapmakers fall short on. There will be spell-casting, acid-spitting, soul-stealing lizardmen thereabouts?

Art (yes, that Art)