PBE Games on DriveThruRPG

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Random Thoughts - TiddlyWiki

Saturdays I get to take a break from items and encounters and just write something RPG related. Today I'm going to write about TiddlyWiki. Many people are familiar with the wiki concept, if you're not, take a look at the definition on Wikipedia. TiddlyWiki is a single HTML document that implements a wiki. Wiki articles are called Tiddlers, and each Tiddler can be linked, tagged or edited just like in a regular wiki.

I've been using TiddlyWiki to write up my campaign notes for an upcoming game. It's proven to be an incredibly easy to use tool for organizing the labyrinth-like structure my notes usually take. With a bit of forethought and some self-discipline on tagging Tiddlers I now have a fully hyper-linked document containing all my campaign notes, maps and character sheets. I'm also using it as a staging ground for this blog and as a personal "To Do" list.

I'd urge anyone who is interested in writing or information organization to give TiddlyWiki a look. It's dead-easy to use, all you need is a web browser and a copy of the free TiddlyWiki starter file. Figuring out the basics takes about ten minutes of playing around. This software is well worth a look, enjoy!

No comments: