PBE Games on DriveThruRPG

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Twilight Corruption

The boundary between the mundane world and the realms of decay and darkness is usually well-defined and impenetrable. Usually. Sometimes the boundary is weakened, either by some great accidental cataclysm, or by intentional use of dark magics. When this occurs, the first sign is often an outbreak of the Twilight Corruption. This magical disease afflicts any living thing that goes too close to the physical break between planes. The symptoms and effects vary depending on exposure and the relative strength of the break. Since the Corruption affects all living things, be they plant or animal, the first signs often manifest in the local trees and undergrowth. Plants near the break receive constant exposure, making them very vulnerable to the Corruptions effects.

Any living thing that is exposed to the Corruption source should roll on the table below (1d10) for each day of exposure. A Good test of resistance negates the effect of any roll. Note that continued exposure means additional rolls. All effects are cumulative.
1-2No effect. The creature is safe, for now.
3-4Wasting Corruption. The creature suffers from a gradual wasting disease, which reduces one of vitality strength or will by one rank each 1d4 days.
5-6Devouring Hunger. The creature is driven by a maddening hunger for fresh blood. Each day a Good test of will must be made or the afflicted attacks a living creature for their blood. Consumed blood negates the effects of Wasting Corruption.
7Unholy Mutation. Any plant afflicted with this effect gains the ability to move using roots and branches as limbs. Plants can also use branches as crude weapons, clubbing or entangling their victims. Afflicted animals suffer uncontrolled growth, gaining 50% in size and strength, along with proportional strength. This growth is accompanied by an disgusting corruption of features and flesh, twisting familiar faces into cruel mockeries.
8Ecoplasmic Form. The afflicted sprouts 1d6 twisting tendrils of ectoplasmic goo from their body. These tendrils corrupt what they touch. Anyone coming in contact with one must roll on this table as if they were exposed to the source of Corruption.
9Necrotic Flesh. The victim's flesh begins to turn blue-green and decay, emitting a foul odor. Anyone within 10 feet of Necrotic Flesh must make a Good resistance roll or be nauseated for 1d6 rounds, suffering a one rank penalty to all action checks. There is no negative effect to the victim.
10Berserk Rage. The victim loses their last remnant of sanity and goes berserk, attacking any living thing that crosses their path. The berserker gains one rank of strength and vitality, and becomes immune to mind- or emotion-affecting powers.
Victims of the Corruption can be cured with a Superb test of divine magic (treat as a magical disease to determine appropriate spells or rituals). Each time a victim of the Corruption dies, there is a 25% chance their remains will crumble to dust, a 50% chance they will rise as a crude undead creature (skeleton or zombie), and a 25% chance their corpse will become a seed for a new rift between the planes. If the victim's corpse is treated with a Superb divine magic cleansing these effects will be negated.


Timeshadows said...


My Dryvv may argue with you about the necessity of Darkness = Corruption, but I'll let them hash that out with you. ;)

Anonymous said...

Interesting indeed.

But with the 25% chance of each death of a tainted creature creating a new source of corruption these outbreaks will spread rapidly and be very difficult to stop.

Mark Thomas said...

Definitely a troublesome plague if it gets going. I was thinking of this as the basis for an entire region of tainted land.

@Timeshadows - I agree the darkness = bad is a little overused.